One of the most fun things for parents to buy is little girl dresses. Not only are they fun and easy for girls to wear, but they can also save you money, since you’re often only buying one piece to complete the outfit, rather than two!
Here are some more tips for saving $$ with girl dresses:
1. Check last year’s dresses. – As you’re taking stock of what your little girl already has (and what she’ll need) for an upcoming season, be sure to check last year’s dresses first. Believe it or not, you may not need to replace that dress after all. If a dress still fits well in the shoulders and waist, but is just a bit too short, you can add leggings and have it work as a long tunic. Outfit complete and not a penny spent!
2. Buy big and think layers. – If you’re shopping in the off-season (you can often get the best deals just by shopping in the clearance section and shopping off-season), you might be able to find a dress that works for multiple seasons. Just buy big enough to accommodate a turtleneck and tights to be worn under during the colder months. Then she can wear it on its own when spring and summer start to appear.
3. Shop consignment and thrift stores. – At these stores, you’re often buying by the piece, which means you’ll really benefit from it being a one-piece outfit.
4. Saving with one-piece outfits – For both boys and girls, I used to find myself shopping for the one-piece outfits when they were babies. I knew back then it was saving me money, by not having to buy 2-piece outfits. Girls just get to take advantage of that savings for a longer stretch of time with girl dresses. Same concept, just for older toddlers and girls!
5. Keep it casual. – Don’t fall into the accessorizing trap. If you’re really looking to save money on your girls’ outfits, less is more. If you buy every matching headband, bracelet, necklace and purse to match the dress, then it’s no longer a one-piece, money-saving outfit. Keep it casual and simple and save money (and time it takes to locate and match each of those pieces in the mornings!)
What are your favorite tips for saving money on girl dresses?
Find more info on Little Girls Dresses here!