See all Amazon Prime Day 2019 deals here.
This week I’ve posted game day recipes for:
- Game Day-Fruit Filled Rainbow Cups
- Game Day Worthy Stuffed Baked (Mini) Potatoes
- Game Day Buffalo Chicken Cheesy Nachos
Now let’s make some baked taquitos!
This recipe is pretty versatile and GREAT for Game Day!
First off, you’ll make your meat. You can make your meat as far in advance as you want. I made slow cooked carnitas based off of this recipe (I mainly changed the quantity of spices. Most of the reviews agree that most of the spices should at least be tripled).
This makes a TON of meat.
If you don’t intend to use all of it for your taquitos (and I doubt you will unless you are actually feeding the Patriots and the Giants, which I kind of doubt you are!), just freeze the rest and pull it out for taco night for the next few weeks! I also love to make nachos with it.
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crumbled dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (4 pound) boneless pork shoulder roast
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups chicken broth
1. Mix the salt, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, coriander and cinnamon in a large bowl.
2. Pat pork shoulder roast dry and roll in the spice mixture until fully coated.
3. Put the roast into your slow cooker and slowly pour the chicken broth along the sides (not on the top, you don’t want the spice mixture to wash off the top).
4. Throw in your bay leaves and cook on low for at least 10 hours. Halfway through, flip it over.
5. Take the meat out of the slow cooker and shred it with two forks, discarding any fat. Put the shredded meat back into the liquid to keep moist.
Okay, so now that we have our carnitas, we’re going to set some aside for our taquitos! Here are the instructions for making the taquitos:
Baked Taquitos w/ Pork Carnitas & Cheese
- Pork Carnitas from above (or whatever meat you want to use)
- flour tortillas
- shredded cheese
- baking sheet
- cooking oil spray (like Pam)
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Warm your tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds or so. You want them to be flexible.
3. Spoon a small amount of meat and cheese into the middle of the tortilla (make sure to drain the meat of juices so you don’t have soggy tortillas!
4. Roll up tightly and place on a foil lined tray.
5. Repeat for however may taquitos you need or until your tray is fully covered with a single layer of taquitos.
6. Spray the taquitos with cooking spray and sprinkle lightly with salt
7. Bake for about 18-20 minutes, take them out and turn them halfway through the cooking time.
Serve with sour cream and salsa and your guests will LOVE you!
Check out more frugal recipes here on Family Friendly Frugality.