In the past 30 days I have received 1, 573 visits as a result of this little widget placed below my posts:
It’s called Crowd Ignite, and it’s one of my highest referral sites after social media (and Google of course!). The majority of the visits I get from Crowd Ignite stick around my blog an average of 2 minutes and view more then 2 pages. For a blog like mine (a “deal” blog, although personally I do not consider myself a deal blog!), that’s a pretty good deal!
So how do I get traffic from Crowd Ignite? And…what is Crowd Ignite anyway?
What is Crowd Ignite?
I was approached by Momtastic (a site I am a featured writer/section editor of) about including a widget on my blog called the Momtastic Discovery Widget (which is a smaller part of the larger Crowd Ignite network). They mentioned that for every visitor I sent their way, they’d send at least 1.5 visitors back my way. I figured, what do I have to lose? So I signed up. I quickly realized that the traffic being sent back to me was actually headed towards old coupons and dead deals, so I almost pulled the widget down. Not a great first impression to send someone on a deal hunt for a sale that happened 3 months ago!
However, when I went to provide my feedback on the widget, it was suggested to me that we would cherry pick my content. This way no deals or coupons (or time sensitive posts in general) would go through, instead it would be more evergreen content. Recipes, activities, money saving articles etc.
Within a few days I was noticing a huge influx of traffic from Crowd Ignite and I realized that cherry picking my content was really doing great things for me!
Over time I realized I was getting a lot more traffic back then I was giving in, and after brainstorming with Crowd Ignite it was pretty clear that it was the content drawing these new readers in! A good thumbnail and catchy title was making them click, but the fact that I was providing them with good quality content was making them stay put! In fact the most popular exit pages for readers who stop by from Crowd Ignite are Facebook, Twitter and Subscribing by email!
Tips & Tricks for Using Crowd Ignite:
- First off you need to write good content. Choose catchy and compelling headlines, but don’t allow them to be misleading. Nothing makes someone click off your blog faster then expecting something that isn’t provided.
- Second, you need to submit that good content under the “Pages” tab for Crowd Ignite. There’s no guarantee they will use your page, but in my experience they usually do.
- Put your widget where it is likely to get clicked. I know some people would argue that you shouldn’t be sending readers off your blog. However, my experience has been that the readers I receive in return seem to be pretty *sticky* and come back again and again. So it’s worth it!
- Give it some time. Obviously the more content you have available for Crowd Ignite to showcase, the more often you’ll get traffic from them. Don’t expect an overnight miracle!
- Invite your friends. Visitors are counted in credits. For each “credit” you send to Crowd Ignite, they send 1.5 “credits” (visitors) back to you. Sign up your friends and you’ll immediately bank 500 credits per sign up! You won’t be paid this all at once, in fact I currently have 90 credits waiting to be sent back my way right now. I know they are good for it though and I often have periods where I have no credit because I’m receiving between a 500-800% rate of return (they aim for 150% rate of return, so 500-800% is not exactly typical)
Now, it’s not for everyone. It might not work for your blog, and it might not work for your niche. However, you never know until you try! Obviously I’d love for you to sign up through my referral link so I can get credit. If you’d rather not, just go directly to the site.
I’d love to hear your feedback on what you think and I KNOW Jake from Crowd Ignite would love to hear it too. He’s been great to work with so far, answering all of my questions and even explaining the dashboard to me when I was totally confused!
I encourage you to check out this traffic building tool! You can sign up here today!