Like this post? Be sure to Pin It! Pin It
You are cordially invited to Juice in the City’s Virtual Holiday Meal on Tuesday, November 15th from 6pm PST/9pm EST to 7pm PST/10pm EST.
Come join in the fun as we serve a virtual meal and create very interesting discussions around the upcoming holidays. Awesome prizes will be up for grabs and we will kick-off our Home for the Holidays deals.
Several of our Juice Mom Crew members will be joining in and helping us serve the virtual holiday meal.
Heather Shaw (Family Friendly Frugality)
Amber Bustanoby (Coupon Connections)
Julia Wessels (The Frugal Find)
Lea Ann Stundins (Mommys Wish List)
Emily Vanek (Colorado Moms)
Let the holiday fun begin!
As you might, or might not know (but now you do!), I am part of the Juice Mom Crew! I’ve been working with Juice In the City (an AWESOME daily deal site that offers great work at home opportunities for moms!) for a long time now and I just love their mission and their message.
When I was asked to be a part of Juice in the City’s Virtual Holiday Meal…I jumped all over it!
I decided to choose dessert, since I am a BIG dessert fan and I just knew I could come up with something fun and frugal for your Holiday feast!
I took to my Facebook (personal) page and asked my friends what they thought was the perfect holiday dessert. More than once, “trifle!” came up.
Now, first I want to say that I’ve never had a trifle.
The only thing I really knew about a trifle was that it should NOT include beef or peas or carrots AND whipped cream at the same time. (I have mostly been educated via Friends re-runs).
I took to Pinterest to learn more and was greeted by the prettiest dessert I’ve ever seen! Layers upon layers of fruits and cakes and whipped topping, oh my goodness I was in heaven!
Most of the trifles I looked at were very spring themed though. Lots of berries and seasonal fruits (that season being spring, not fall) and light spongy cakes, so I wasn’t really sure a trifle would work for this task.
Until I saw this gorgeous baby from Taste of Home!
An alternative to the traditional spring berry version(but still WITH berries, which I think is important!) and with an essential ingredient present in MOST (if not all) my favorite desserts.
Chocolate cake to be precise.
Which kind of bummed me out.
‘Cause I’m not a big cake fan (I know…weird!).
No problem, I’d just sub in my trusty brownie recipe and away we go!
Chocolate Chocolate (Oh Strawberries & Cream, too) Trifle
adapted from Taste of Home
- 1 brownie recipe (found here or go ahead and use store bought. I won’t tell…many people. 😉 )
- 1 quart fresh whole strawberries
- 1 carton (15 oz) strawberry glaze
- 2 cartons (12 ounces each) frozen whipped topping, thawed & divided
- 1 cup chocolate frosting
- Shaved chocolate OR chocolate chips
- Your kids (this is an easy recipe for them to help with!)
- Prepare, bake and cool your brownies (or take them out of the bag you brought them home from the store in)
- Set aside 5 of your strawberries for garnish and slice the remaining strawberries. Cut the brownies into 1 inch cubes.
- Place half of the brownie cubes into your trifle/punch bowl
- Top w/ half of your sliced strawberries and drizzle half of the strawberry glaze
- Spread 3 1/2 cups of the whipped topping
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the frosting until it’s “pourable”. Stir it often and then let it cool slightly so it still pours easily but isn’t too hot.
- Pour half of the icing over the whipped cream
- Repeat the layers once again.
- Top with the remaining whipped topping and refrigerate until serving
- Just before you serve, garnish with shaved chocolate or chocolate chips.
Serves 24-28 people! That, my friends, is what makes this such a GREAT dessert to feed a crowd on a budget!
Clearly, it’s a hit 😉
Be sure to join us for our Juice in the City’s Virtual Holiday Meal on Tuesday, November 15th from 6pm PST/9pm EST to 7pm PST/10pm EST. The party will be on Twitter using the hashtag #Juice4Holiday. Here are the prizes you could win!
Prize: Personalized Snowflake Platter $24.99 (Winner to provide name after party – only takes 2 days to personalize)
Prize: Barefoot Contessa Family Style Cookbook $18.88
Prize: West Elm Holiday Sentiment Dessert Plates $40
Prize: Personalized Gingerbread House $49.95
Prize: $25 Gift Certificate to Sports Authority (good online or retail) $25
Prize: $25 Gift Card to JoAnn Fabric & Craft (available online or retail) $25
Prize: Cooking Light Ultimate Kid-Approved Cookbook $13.57
Prize: $25 Amazon Gift Card $25
So PLEASE be sure to join us on November 15th between 9-10 pm EST!
Here’s the hashtag for you to follow: #JUICE4HOLIDAY.
Be sure to check out all the great frugal recipes here on Family Friendly Frugality!
Somer Shaw says
i love this 🙂 and i want one of THOSE