Last summer, I started noticing a bunch of my friends getting really into essential oils. At first it was the friends that try EVERYTHING. You know, the ones that would buy air if it came in pretty packaging.
I didn’t think too much of it.
Then some friends (including a few friends I have in the medical profession) hopped on board. At this point, I became curious myself and decided to order some oils from Young Living. I had done some research and decided that Young Living was the brand I felt had the highest standards and the most support for their customers.
I made a big mistake though! Not wanting to invest a ton of money into something I was still fairly skeptical about, I ordered one of the very smallest kits (The Basic Plus Starter Kit). Well, my kit came and I was so excited! My daughter was actually sick at the time, so I pulled out some of the trial samples and used some of the oils on her. She felt better almost immediately.
I diffused some of the oils and made a hair mask with some others. I spilled one entire packet.
In 3 days, my Essential Oil experiment was essentially…OVER!
At this point, I simply wasn’t convinced. Yes, my daughter got over her cold pretty quickly. Yes, I did have more focus when I diffused the peppermint oil in my office. Yes, the lemon made a really fun and fragrant scrub. I spilled the peace and calming everywhere, so it just smelled…strong?
Not a great first impression. I also fully realized that I didn’t really give it a chance. School started though and life got busy! I didn’t think about the oils again until the Kindergarten sickies took hold of my little girl. I felt like she was getting sick constantly! It was so frustrating. No mother likes her child to be ill, and my daughter LOVES school and hates to miss it!
At this time, a friend of mine posted about the immediate relief her daughter felt when she rubbed some oils on her daughter’s chest during a road trip. I decided to order that particular oil and give it a try. At the same time, I had read about using Lemon Essential oil in water to help with digestion issues, so I ordered Lemon Oil as well.
From there, I kind of went crazy. (in a good way!)
I started doing more and more research and using essential oils in new and different ways. I use them all over nowadays. Oddly, the thing I do the least is diffuse them. I still do enjoy using my diffuser though.
I’m hoping to start writing some posts regarding how I use the oils in the future. I don’t want to become one of THOSE bloggers though who does nothing but push their oily habit all day long 😉 . That’s super annoying and honestly where my reluctance to post about my little hobby so far came from. A friend of mine convinced me otherwise though…it’s too important and too great to keep to myself!
If you are interested in checking out Essential Oils, I want to be sure you don’t waste your money and you set yourself up for success right from the start (unlike me).
Here’s how to save the most:
1. Sign up as a Wholesale Member (Full disclosure – this is my referral link. I actually did this RIGHT and have been signed up as a wholesale member since summer of 2014)
Here are some of the benefits of being a wholesale member (over a retail customer…you really don’t want to sign up as a retail customer. You have to pay full price! Nobody who reads this blog pays full price, right?!)
- Enjoy 24 percent off retail pricing on your favorite products.
- Participate in the compensation plan and earn commissions just by sharing Young Living.
- Qualify for exclusive Young Living member events around the world.
- Enjoy the benefits and convenience of Essential Rewards.
*Please be sure the sponsor ID and Enroller ID say 1920207
2. Purchase the Premium Starter Kit. This is where I made my big mistake. I chose a smaller starter kit and quickly blew through my sample oils before I really had a chance to give them a go. The Premium Starter Kit comes with a bunch of great stuff, but the best part is that they start you off with the TEN most essential of the essential oils…in 5 ml bottles! The oils in this select collection provide ongoing support for your home, health, and body.
You’ll receive some samples of other oils as well. Plus your diffuser and all of your info guides.
3. Sign up for Essential Rewards (optional): I have not yet done this, but plan to do it soon as I am starting to run out of several of the oils we use on a regular basis. Essential Rewards is a great way to earn points towards future purchases. You do have to order at least 50 PV (product value or point value) per month and it does sign you up for an auto ship program.
- In the first six months (months 1 – 6), you get 10% back in ER point credits.
- In the next six months (months 7 – 12), you get 15% back in ER point credits.
- In every month after, beginning with month 13, you get 20% back in ER point credits.
This can be a tough thing to commit to right off the bat if you aren’t sure if you and your family will really enjoy/utilize essential oils. In hindsight though, I wish we had signed up for this program from day one!
Do you use Essential Oils? Comment below and tell me what your favorite oils are!
One thought on “My Experience With Young Living Essential Oils – A Brief Review”
I’m so glad you’re loving your YL oils! I adore mine so much, they’ve made such a huge and wonderful impact on our family!