This Pressure Cooker Creamy Broccoli, Rice & Cheese Casserole is easy enough to make as a weeknight side dish, but flavorful enough to serve on any special occasion. This Pressure Cooker Creamy Broccoli, Rice & Cheese Casserole whips up quickly and uses arborio rice. This results in an amazingly creamy texture that nobody will believe you were able to achieve by simply sealing your pressure cooker and walking away! Make this in your Instant Pot or your Ninja Foodi!
Have you ever had a windfall of broccoli?
Recently, I was out grocery shopping when I noticed 2 huge (32 oz) bags of VERY nice looking cut brocolli on sale with 50% off stickers on them!
I quickly grabbed the bags of broccoli thinking I would do a batch of freezer cooking soon. Well, life has gotten in the way and I simply have not had time to set aside to have a freezer cooking day.
Therefore, we have been having steamed broccoli as a side for every dinner for a week (I make steamed broccoli in my instant pot. I just put my broccoli in this in my instant pot, add a cup of water and then cook under pressure for 1 minute…super easy!) and quite honestly, I was sick of it. My kids were sick of it. My husband would never say he was sick of it, but I’m sure he was!
I hunted through my pantry and found a small amount of arborio rice that I needed to use up. I decided to give this recipe a shot with my own small tweaks.
It was a total win!
If you like broccoli and cheese casserole, you will love this creamy pressure cooker version of this popular side dish!
Pressure Cooker Creamy Broccoli, Rice & Cheese Casserole
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion (diced)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 16 oz cooked broccoli
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- In your pressure cooker (I did mine in my Ninja Foodi), saute your butter and onions together until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add salt & pepper and your minced garlic and stir for approximately 1 more minute to heat through.
- Next, add the rice and saute the rice with the onions/butter (the rice will soak up the butter pretty quickly!) for about 1-2 minutes until you feel like the rice has scraped up any brown bits from the bottom of your pressure cooker (this helps you avoid the “BURN” warning that we sometimes get in pressure cookers!).
- Add the chicken broth and stir.
- Cover and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Allow pressure to naturally release for about 2-3 minutes.
- Then release the pressure and stir in your cheese and your broccoli. Salt & pepper to taste.
Looking for other side dishes? Check out these!
From Scratch Stuffing: https://www.familyfriendlyfrugality.com/old-fashioned-from-scratch-stuffing/
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole: https://www.familyfriendlyfrugality.com/tasty-sweet-slow-cooker-sweet-potato-casserole/
Heather’s Famous Mashed Potatoes: https://www.familyfriendlyfrugality.com/heathers-famous-mashed-potatoes-enough-to-feed-everyone/
Savory Roasted Broccoli: https://www.familyfriendlyfrugality.com/savory-roasted-broccoli-recipe/
Lighter Yellow Potato Salad: https://www.familyfriendlyfrugality.com/frugal-recipes-lighter-yellow-potato-salad/
Sweet Potato Spears: https://www.familyfriendlyfrugality.com/sweet-potato-spears-recipe-baked-not-fried/