The other day I was perusing the Rice Krispies website when I saw these cuties.
I got the bright idea that I would try these out (I mean how hard could they be?) so I went grocery shopping and got all the supplies:
- 6 cups of Rice Krispies (I swear by using the real cereal…generic just doesn’t taste as good to me in Rice Krispie Treats!)
- 1 bag of marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips*
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil*
- candy corn
- White candies for eyes (I couldn’t find these so I just bought some white chocolate and cut off chunks)
*In hindsight…I wish I had just used the chocolate bark from Kroger instead of the chocolate chips and vegetable oil! That is what I’d do differently next time. I am sure it would “set” easier.
I waited until after school and the kids and I set to work making the Rice Krispie treats just like normal:
- Melt butter (don’t let it brown)
- Add marshmallows and stir over low heat until they are all melted
- Stir in Rice Krispies until fully incorporated
Next I started dropping the mixture onto my cutting board by big heaping spoonfuls. As it cooled it was a bit easier to shape into balls (next time I make these…I’ll make them into balls and then flatten the bottom so they “sit” better).
Once they had sat for about 10 minutes…I heated up the chocolate chips and vegetable oil in 30 second increments in the microwave until it was all melty. Next time, I’ll use chocolate bark and just melt that by itself.
We dipped the balls into the chocolate coating half of them.
Next we stuck them in the refrigerator until the chocolate was just about set.
I pulled them out and stuck the candies on them to make our turkeys! I also stuck a lollipop stick in them for the kids.
Snapped a quick pic before they gobbled them down!
This was a fun little project for the kids and I…but it was actually a lot more sit and wait then I thought it would be! Still…we had fun and I definitely think we’ll make these again!
Leave a Reply