A question I get asked quite often, and that I asked myself when I first started out, is whether you should deplete your rewards each week or carry a “balance”.**
Honestly, the answer is…it’s up to you.
Whether it’s Register Rewards, Extra Care Bucks or + Up Rewards the choice is pretty much yours to make.
Here are some pros and cons of each method:
Carrying a Balance of Rewards to Roll Each Week
- You never have to worry about being short on cash when there are great deals to be had!
- You can “buy in” 1 time and never pay a penny out of pocket again.
- If you have a tough week financially you can always use your rewards for essentials.
- You probably won’t have to separate your transactions as much. One big transaction, hand over your rewards for payment and get your new rewards for next time.
- Rewards expire and if there are several bad weeks in a row, you might find yourself buying stuff you don’t need so you can continue to roll
- Likewise, life might get in the way and you could lose all of those rewards if they expire
- It’s a big cash commitment up front. If you are going to roll a steady stream of rewards, I personally recommend making an initial purchase to receive no less then $40 worth of rewards in return. This could be costly and not feasible for you.
Depleting Your Rewards Each Week
- No costly buy in. You can wait for a money maker week and be out of very little start up cash to get started.
- No worries about rewards expiring before you can get to them.
- No pressure to shop when you don’t like what’s on sale
- Very impressive and elaborate scenarios can be fun!
- Very impressive and elaborate scenarios can be exhausting 😉
- Most of the time you will need to complete several transactions (perhaps at separate stores) to make sure your out of pocket is low.
- If you are strapped for cash, you might have to pass up great deals.
There are pros and cons to each approach. Personally I’ve been depleting my rewards each week lately, but with back to school coming up…I’m about to do a big “buy in” here soon.
What do you do? Do you deplete your rewards each week or just roll the same ones?
**Is this all Greek to you? Read my post here about The Drugstore Game and learn how to save up to 90% off your household and personal care necessities by playing The Drugstore Game!