**THIS is a repost of a popular recipe I posted a year or so ago. Enjoy!***
This morning, I knew the moment I woke up that I had made a mistake.
A big mistake.
I remembered the previous night, we went to go get Noah a much needed haircut. I grabbed my keys, Colin grabbed his keys and we rushed out the door (in the D-A-R-K…at 6:00 PM…this time change is going to take some getting used to) and headed on our way. Now, since we were driving in the same vehicle, there was hardly a good reason for BOTH of us to have our keys, so I dropped my keys into the center console.
USUALLY, I drop my keys in my purse. My purse always comes inside with me. The center console? It’s kind of like socks and the dryer. Objects go in, but often don’t come back out.
As the kids hopped on me and jostled me awake this morning with their excited, “Mommy, we’re going to school today!” and “Mommy, I can’t wait to play with my friends!“. It dawned on me.
I never grabbed my keys out of the center console. The car was definitely locked. I remembered Colin double checking that it was locked.
Colin had my spare key…at work.
We weren’t going anywhere today.
As I told my children they’d be stuck with me all day (sheesh, you’d think I told them that we were bypassing Christmas this year), they showered me with Mama Guilt (my kids are good at that. Are yours?).
I knew a morning of cold cereal and/or toast wasn’t going to cut it for breakfast, so I decided to bake them something. I have an overabundance of apples right now, so I decided to try out these Apple Muffins. Now I have posted an Apple Muffin recipe here on FFF in the past, but it required more applesauce then I had on hand and to be honest, I wanted a fluffier muffin (okay and a better picture).
So without further ado…here is the recipe for Apple “Cupcake” Muffins (oh…real quick. We call them “cupcakes” because our kids don’t eat muffins. I’m not sure what it is about that word they don’t like, but call it a muffin and they won’t take a bite. Call it a cupcake and they are all over it!)
Apple “Cupcake” Muffins
(adapted from the Southern Plate Cookbook)
- 1 1/4 cup self rising flour (make your own by adding 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups peeled, cored and chopped apples (any kind will do)
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Prepare your muffin tray by adding in your cupcake liners.
- Mix the flour, sugar, oats, cinnamon & nutmeg together in a bowl.
- Beat your eggs and then add your apples, applesauce, oil and water and stir together until incorporated.
- Slowly add your flour mixture to your wet mixture and stir until just moistened.
- Start spooning your batter into the cupcake liners. Mine were filled just about to the top. They do puff up a bit, but mine didn’t spill over at all.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. The tops should be slightly brown
- Let cool and enjoy!
The kids adored their cupcakes. They each ate 2! I ate one and thought it was pretty filling with the oats added in. Next time I think I’ll make them with all wheat flour and I’ll also add in some flax. This seems like a pretty versatile/quick & easy recipe!