Let’s just be honest here. I’m not a huge football fan (and yes, I do live in Texas. Shame on me!). However, I love the Superbowl! Well, I love the food and I enjoy the commercials at least.
This week, I’ll have one Superbowl friendly recipe each day leading up to the big game. Bookmark any you’d like to make (might I recommend Pinterest?) and let me know how game day goes for you!
First up, we have an old favorite made a bit more “portable” for easy munching.
I love Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Chicken Dip, but instead of just having a bowl of the dip with chips on the side, I decided to make nachos!
Who doesn’t love nachos? On game day, nachos are a necessity!
I was inspired by a recipe for Buffalo Chicken Nachos from The Girl Who Ate Everything. I wanted to use items I already had on hand though, so I had to alter the recipe a bit. I didn’t have cool ranch doritos and my Frank’s Hot Sauce was the traditional kind, not the Buffalo Wing Sauce.
Basically I made Frank’s Dip from here. Piled it onto some nachos like she does here. Then piled on a bunch of cheese and dolloped on some sour cream.
This was a TOTAL winner. I think you’ll enjoy! It was also very easy to just use a spatula and serve on individual plates.
Game Day Buffalo Chicken Cheesy Nachos
Inspired by Frank’s Red Hot and The Girl Who Ate Everything
- 1/2 cup Frank’s Hot Sauce (or whatever hot sauce you have on hand. I happen to like Frank’s best)
- 1/2 cup blue cheese (plus more for sprinkling on top of nachos)
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup water*
- 4 cups shredded chicken (I used 4 small-ish breasts)
- 1/2 stalk of celery diced small
- 1 bag of tortilla chips (I used the multigrain kind)
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar or mexican mixed cheese
- Sour Cream
1. Preheat your oven to 475 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil.
2. On the stove add your hot sauce, blue cheese, cream cheese & water to a pot. Heat until the cheese is all melted.
3. Add chicken and heat through.
4. Meanwhile, pour your chips onto your tray and spread them out (it’s okay if they are a few layers deep, the “dip” will drip down through the cracks!).
5. Once your “dip” is heated through, pour all over your chips.
6. Top with cheddar or mexican cheese and sprinkle some more blue cheese on top.
7. Heat for 5-7 minutes.
8. Sprinkle celery and drop a few dollops of sour cream on top when you take it out of the oven.
9. Serve hot/warm.
This is so tasty! It’s a bit different than just putting out a bowl of dip and a bag of chips. Looks like a bit more effort (although it’s really not!). 😉
*If you like, you could add 1/2 cup ranch in place of the water. I just didn’t have any ranch and honestly it tasted just fine without. I didn’t miss the calories from the ranch, that’s for sure!
If you try these, let me know what you think!
- Blue Cheese
- Cheddar or Mexican Shredded cheese
- Tortilla Chips
- Chicken Breast for shredding (you could buy a whole chicken and use the leftover chicken for another recipe and boil the carcass with veggies to make some broth!)
- Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- Cream Cheese
- Sour Cream
What you can prep beforehand:
:: Cut celery and place in fridge
:: Make dip the day before and reheat just before pouring over the nachos
Try out all the frugal recipes on Family Friendly Frugality!