Today I had two of my articles published on Associated Content. It was a very exciting day for me, because it kind of marks the first day I have the potential to earn money directly from my writing (Shameless plug: go check it out…I get paid for page views and comments!). Now, I’m not the most amazing writer. I’m the first to admit that I write how I talk. I am a passionate writer though. I write from my heart and sometimes I think that matters more than big words and fancy sentence structure.
I love to write. I deal with writer’s block like everyone else, but once it starts flowing…it’s a beautiful thing!
Another love of mine? My blog. I love my blog. I started my blog to help others learn fun and frugal ways to keep their families happy.
So you might wonder, if you love your blog so much, why do you submit some of your best content elsewhere? The answer to this is pretty simple, for more exposure! I want to reach MORE people. I want to help MORE people. Guest posting has played a major role in my blog’s success to date, and I have to admit…I really enjoy it!
- It helps a fellow blogger out. It is HARD work writing daily for a blog. Especially making multiple posts in a day. Guest posts give bloggers a bit of breathing room. (anyone want to guest post for me? Seriously! shoot me an email heather at familyfriendlyfrugality.com)
- It helps BOTH bloggers out. My readers check out their site, their readers come check out my site. Hopefully they find something unique about both of us and stick around.
- Search Engine Optimization. The more links there are to your site from other sites…the higher you rank in search engines.
- It’s good for community. Bloggers don’t have competition, they have colleagues.
- In some cases, it lets you write about things that don’t necessarily “fit in” on your own blog.
- Budget Savvy Diva-I’ve actually done two guest posts for her! I can’t seem to find the first one, but I like this one better anyway.
- $5 Dinners-I submitted my Arroz Con Pollo recipe!
- Simply Stacie-This post was all about raising children frugally!
- Just Married With Coupons-not so much a guest post as a guest spot. I collaborate with Just Married With Coupons on my Kroger match-ups as well.
- Money Saving Mom– This post was very close to my heart. I cried while I wrote it. It was such a big turning point in my life when I finally conquered my failure. You might wonder why I submitted it to Money Saving Mom instead of here. I knew it was inspiring, and I knew she had the reach (read: lots of readers) that at this time I do not. I cried again the day it was posted.
I also linked this up at:
I have never really done the guest posting, but after reading this I should definitely consider it.
Thank you for participating in the Wednesday Window.
It's been very successful for me! Some more than others of course. Even the ones that didn't bring in huge amounts of traffic helped me to become more "plugged in" to the blogging community!
Cris @ Goodeness Gracious says
I totally agree. I recently did my first guest post and it was so rewarding!
Christine (iDreamofClean) says
I love your point about writing something out of your niche. I have a niche blog and the subject matter is really just a tiny part of my life. Since I have so much more to say, guest posting is a great way to get that content out.
Caroline Mukisa says
I've done one guest post so far, which was definitely fun. I've got some more planned but the fear of rejection is slowing me down! Thanks for highlighting the positive aspects, they've given me renewed enthusiasm to just go for it!
Oh I'm always scared of rejection! What's worse is when you write and don't hear a response at all. It really pays off when it works out though!
I have been too scared to think about guest posting anywhere, but I'm seriously rethinking this! Thanks for sharing your experiences!
I have guest posted once, but I already write SO much, it is hard to find time to look into this. When I am not homeschooling or blogging, I am writing reviews for The Old Schoolhouse magazine. I really do want to look into guest posting, though~thanks for the tip!!
Your Frugal Friend, Niki says
I agree! I used to guest post on a blog on a weekly basis but then the authors abandoned the blog.
I really should find another place to do so. Thanks for the reminder.
I just wanted to stop by and thank you for participating in last week’s Wednesday Window @ Frugality Is Free. I would like to invite you to this week’s The Wednesday Window . It is the place to feature your favorite blog post of the past week or so, for more details check out Frugality Is Free. The Wednesday Window linky will open up before 10 p.m.