By popular demand, I’m going to start posting some of my most frugal recipes on Family Friendly Frugality. I’m no gourmet, and I’m also not a health nut. I do know how to make a cheap meal that tastes good though!
Tostadas are an an easy easy dinner option when you need to get a filing meal on the table fast. My husband raves about my tostadas. They are so incredibly simple, so it’s a meal I don’t mind making on demand. (my husband NEVER demands anything of me, but you know what I mean!)
5 Minute Tostadas
- 1-2 corn tortillas per person (If you want to make this even easier, you can buy pre-fried corn tortillas at the store…they aren’t as good)
- refried beans (I either make my own or buy the fat free in the can)
- shredded cheddar
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomato
- vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- Heat up enough oil to cover the bottom of your frying pan. You want it pretty hot. Test it by sticking the tip of a tortilla in…if it immediately starts to bubble, it’s good.
- Using your tongs, place tortilla in oil. Let cook about 30 seconds each side and place on a paper towel to drain after (the tortilla SHOULD be hard and flat)
- Heat beans and spread a layer of beans onto each tortilla
- Top with cheese, tomatoes and lettuce
- Generously add pepper and just a teeny bit of salt
- Serve with rice or a salad