By popular demand, I’m going to start posting some of my most frugal recipes on Family Friendly Frugality. I’m no gourmet, and I’m also not a health nut. I do know how to make a cheap meal that tastes good though!
Tostadas are an an easy easy dinner option when you need to get a filing meal on the table fast. My husband raves about my tostadas. They are so incredibly simple, so it’s a meal I don’t mind making on demand. (my husband NEVER demands anything of me, but you know what I mean!)
5 Minute Tostadas
- 1-2 corn tortillas per person (If you want to make this even easier, you can buy pre-fried corn tortillas at the store…they aren’t as good)
- refried beans (I either make my own or buy the fat free in the can)
- shredded cheddar
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomato
- vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- Heat up enough oil to cover the bottom of your frying pan. You want it pretty hot. Test it by sticking the tip of a tortilla in…if it immediately starts to bubble, it’s good.
- Using your tongs, place tortilla in oil. Let cook about 30 seconds each side and place on a paper towel to drain after (the tortilla SHOULD be hard and flat)
- Heat beans and spread a layer of beans onto each tortilla
- Top with cheese, tomatoes and lettuce
- Generously add pepper and just a teeny bit of salt
- Serve with rice or a salad
3 thoughts on “5 Minute Tostadas”
I just wanted you to know how much you're guest blog on money saving mom inspired me. I've had so many failed attempts at sewing! Also, gonna make tostados tonight! Thanks for posting!
That's awesome Heather! Come back and tell me what you make!