Let’s talk about diet food. Bland, gross and yucky diet food.
Have you ever seen this site: Weight Watchers Recipe Cards Circa 1974
Luckily, we’ve realized that diets with gross food don’t work any better then diets with perfectly tasteful food. That’s a big time relief for me, since I like my food to taste good! (luckily my Nutrisystem food tastes GREAT!)
I’m a big big fan of casseroles and this one is one of my absolute all time favorites. It is adapted from a Weight Watchers recipe (thankfully NOT circa 1974), but tweaked with my own families preferences.
I hope you enjoy!
Beef , Vegetable & Cheese Casserole
- 12 oz lean ground beef
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 zuchinni sliced thinly
- 1 yellow squash sliced thinly
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 2 cups low fat ricotta (or you can use cottage cheese; picture has cottage cheese…but we do prefer ricotta)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup low fat cheddar shredded
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- Cooking Spray
- First pre heat your oven to 500. Spray your baking sheet with cooking spray and arrange the zuchini, squash and tomatoes on the tray. Roast for about 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat your ground beef and onions in a pan. I usually cook the onions first until they are just about translucent and then add in my meat. Drain the fat off the meat and onions and put back in the pan. Stir in the tomato sauce once the meat is browned and allow to simmer for a few minutes.
- Now you’ll want to mix together your ricotta or cottage cheese, cheddar, egg yolk and seasonings in a bowl.
- In a casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray: 1. Add the meat mixture 2. Followed by the veggies 3. Spread the cheese mixture on top
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 35 minutes.
- This serves 6 easily
This casserole is SO good. It might not sound like much, but it’s a real treat!
9 thoughts on “Beef , Vegetable & Cheese Casserole”
Umm yes please! I’m totally making this asap! It sounds perfectly South Beach friendly, easy and cheap to make, and it makes enough to have leftovers for lunch. You checked off everything on my list :). Thanks for the recipe!
Yey! Hey if you take a pic of it, send it to me and I’ll post it LOL
Hi! I think I’m going to try to make this with a couple of modifications tonight. Is it ok if I post the recipe on my blog in the next few weeks and credit and link it back to you as the original recipe? Thanks so much for the inspiration!
No problem! Be sure to email me and let me see it when it goes live!
Fab! Will do!
I’m going to post my version tomorrow morning! I’ll be linking back up here then…thanks again for sharing your recipe!
In the ingredients list you have: 1 zuchinni sliced thinly & 1 zuchinni squash sliced thinly. This is the same item……. So is the 2nd entry a mistake OR do I slice ” 2 ” Zuccuhini ?
Yes. It should be yellow squash